Select your region:
Set Region

Regulations of Manitoba


Please be advised that the synopsis has been supplied for information purposes only and should not be considered as the interpretation of the rules and regulations. Users are advised to send an enquiry to or directly consult with the safety authority of each province/territory before making any decisions that may have critical consequences. Acetake Group assumes no liability for the use or misuse of the information herein.


Office of the Fire Commissioner

Office of the Fire Commissioner is the authority for safety programs related to pressure equipment and gas in the province.


1. Pressure Vessels and Pressure Piping

Provincial Authority for design, construct, install, repair, and inspect pressure equipment, design registration, quality assurance plans and welding procedure registration in Manitoba is The Office of the Fire Commissioner per The Steam and Pressure Plants Act (see The Steam and Pressure Plants Act under Links).


Design, fabrication, installation, operation, repair and inspection of pressure equipment are governed by the above Act and Regulation in Manitoba. Under this act, the following are exempt from inspection and certification requirements:

  • Boilers that develop less than 3 boiler horsepower (126,000 btu input);

  • Boilers used for heating single family or duplex homes;

  • Unfired pressure vessels under 10 cubic feet volume.


To install boilers, pressure vessels and pressure piping systems, a Certificate of Authorization from The Office of the Fire Commissioner is required. If the system exceeds 17 cubic feet in volume, a Canadian Registration Number (CRN) is required for the system.


In Manitoba, a valid inspection certificate issued by Inspection and Technical Services is required for the operation of boilers or pressure vessels. Depending on the type, size and refrigerant, certain refrigeration plants also require certification. Under the Manitoba Steam and Pressure Plants Act, inspection certificates for most boilers are issued for one year; annual inspection is required to renew the certificate each year. Inspection certificates for most unfired pressure vessels are issued for two (2) years; inspection is required once every two years to renew the certificate.

Canadian Registration Number (CRN) registration of boiler, pressure vessel, fitting, fired-heater pressure coil, and pressure piping intended for use in Manitoba are done by the Office of the Fire Commissioner. CRN registered in Manitoba, usually have a suffix of (.4).


2. Fuels/Gas

The Branch at The Office of the Fire Commissioner is the jurisdictional authority responsible for issuing permits to install gas and oil-burning equipment under The Gas and Oil Burning Act (see The Gas and Oil Burning Act under Links).



The Branch is responsible to issue permit gas and oil burning equipment installations, approve piping plans for all installations over 400,000 btu, inspect gas and oil-fired equipment that is not certified for use by a recognized testing agency, test and licences technicians and conduct field inspections. A permit must be obtained before beginning work on any installation, alteration, addition of gas or oil burning appliances or piping. The application must be submitted to a Branch office. Where the total input of all units to be connected exceeds 400,000 btu, the piping drawings must be included in the application.


Special Acceptance for a Gas Appliance from the Office of the Fire Commissioner, is required for using equipment that has not been certified by an agency accredited by the Standards Council of Canada and recognized in Manitoba. In this case, a provincial Gas Inspector will inspect the equipment to determine its compliance to provincial codes and guidelines.



Each utility is required to conduct a commission inspection on all equipment installed, while, provincial inspectors conduct commission inspections on high-input commercial/industrial equipment. Residential inspections are mainly conducted by licenced Utility-class fitters working on behalf of the fuel provider.


Gas and Oil Fitter Licensing:

The section is also administers is responsible for certifying the technicians who work with gas and oil burning equipment. The section sets qualification examinations and holds exam sittings throughout the province and licences successful exam candidates.


A gasfitter licence is qualified to perform the following activities:

  • Install, inspect, repair and maintain gas lines and gas equipment such as meters, regulators, heating units and appliances in residential, commercial and industrial establishment

  • Testing and replacing defective equipment

  • Attending to gas-escape calls and assisting in the investigation of gas fires and explosions

  • Advising clients on safety features and maintenance of gas units

  • Converting cars or appliances to use natural gas fuels

  • preparing work reports

  • reading and interpreting drawings and blueprints.


Oil Fitter Licence: Requires hours 3600 hours of work experience under the supervision of an individual who holds an Oil Fitter licence or 900 hrs continued experience and apprenticeship.


Gas D Licence (Utility): No exam is required if the technician holds a Gas A or Gas B and has 3600 hrs of work experience under the supervision of an individual who holds a Gas D licence and all the experience in approved Utilities.


Gas A Licence (Commercial): Works on all equipment, commonly referred to as Commercial / Industrial Requires a Gas B (Domestic), Refrigeration, Plumbing, or Steam Fitter qualification and hours 3600 hours of work experience under the supervision of an individual who holds a Gas A licence and all the work is done over 400 000 btu.


Gas B Licence: Works on equipment with up to and including 400,000 btu.


Go to Provincial Regulations